As part of the Trans Care Project, a joint initiative of the Transgender Health Program and Transcend Transgender Support & Education Society (with funding by the Canadian Rainbow Health Coalition), local and international experts in transgender care worked with local members of the transgender community to create 7 sets of guidelines for health and social service providers in BC, and 17 health information booklets for transgender people and loved ones.
This consumer booklet is intended to help you:
• identify what you need to feel that your nurse or doctor is being trans-positive
• consider whether or not to come out as trans to your GP/nurse
• know what to expect if you switch to a trans-competent GP/nurse
• understand issues in coding “F” or “M” on medical charts and lab forms
• learn about professional resources that you and your health care provider can use to get more information about trans care
The goal is to be able to get trans-competent care for your basic health problems and questions. It’s also about building your confidence and knowledge, so that when you go to meet your health care provider, you have a clear idea about what to expect and can tell them what you want and need.