If you are coming to Canada to study at a university you will likely be covered under the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). You may also have access to supplementary health insurance through your student union.

You can reach out to the school you will be attending to discuss health services they offer, since they will see people covered under UHIP and/or their student union insurance. Looking into UHIP coverage in-depth will also help you get a better sense of what services are covered while you’re attending school in Canada.

UHIP covers gender-affirming care. For surgeries, UHIP requires surgical predetermination from your health care provider. Contact UHIP for more information.

You’ll also want to read about bringing prescription medication into Canada. Documentation from your doctor (prescriptions, psychiatrists’ letters, etc.) might be helpful, as may be bringing a 90-day supply of hormones if you can.