How do I change my name or sex designation on my OHIP card?
This page is currently only available in English. Questions? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To update your name or sex designation on your OHIP card, you will need:
- Registration for Ontario Health Coverage form, completed, signed, and dated
- Three separate, original (i.e. not photocopy of printout of an electronic document) identification documents:
- one that proves your Canadian citizenship or OHIP-eligible immigration status (e.g. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card )
- one that proves you live in Ontario (e.g. Ontario Driver’s Licence, income tax assessment)
- one that supports your identity (e.g. credit card, passport from any country)
For a complete list of qualifying identification documents, visit the Ontario Central Forms Repository.
Children under the age of 16 wishing to change their name do not need a photo or signature on their card, so a parent or guardian can register their health coverage on their child’s behalf. Children over the age of 16 need a photo and signature on their card and must apply in person at a ServiceOntario Centre, as an adult would.
What do I do with the documents?
You must apply for OHIP in person at a ServiceOntario. Bring the documents mentioned above to a ServiceCentre near you.
You can find ServiceOntario centres near you by using the location search on the ServiceOntario website.
What happens next?
Your updated heath card will be mailed to you in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
Who can I ask if I have questions?
If you need more information you can call Service Ontario, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., at:
- 1-800-387-3445 if you’re outside of Toronto but within North America
- 416-235-2999 if you’re within the Greater Toronto Area or outside of North America
- Teletypewriter (TTY): 416-325-3408
Links for OHIP card updates
- #014-0265-82: Registration for Ontario Health Coverage
- #014-9998E-82 Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) Documents List