Since these changes are requested in person at a Service Ontario office, there are no forms that you need to fill out in advance. However, you will need to bring supporting documents to show that your name and/or sex designation has changed. You can enter your address on the Service Ontario website to find a location near you.

There is no fee for updating information on your driver’s license. Updating an Ontario Photo Card, however, will cost a $35 renewal fee.

Changing your name

To change your name, you will need:

  1. Your current driver’s licence or Ontario Photo Card
  2. A proof of name change document (the document you bring as proof of your name change must be in English, French or be accompanied by a written translation from an approved translator)
    • adopted name
      • court order for adoption OR
      • change of name certificate
    • singular name
      • U.S. or Canadian birth certificate OR
      • Canadian certificate of Indian status
    • legal name change
      • court order OR
      • change of name certificate
    • common law name
      • change of name certificate
    • married name
      • change of name certificate OR
      • government-issued proof of marriage document
        • Canadian or foreign
        • issued by federal/provincial/territorial/state
        • government original or certified copy

Religious institution, church and ceremony-issued proof of marriage documents are not acceptable as proof of name change.

Changing your sex designation from M to F or F to M

To change the sex designation on your driver’s license or photo card from male (M) to female (F) or female (F) to male (M), you will need to bring the following with you to a Service Ontario centre:

  1. Your original, valid long or short form birth certificate, if you were born in Ontario
  2. A letter from a doctor licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario or a psychologist (or psychological associate) licensed by the College of Psychologists of Ontario. The letter must:
    1. be on the doctor’s letterhead
    2. state that the doctor has examined or treated you and the change in the sex designation on your driver’s licence is appropriate
    3. be signed by the doctor
  3. A letter from you that includes:
    1. the change you want to make
    2. your full name
    3. your current address
    4. your driver’s licence number
    5. the name and address of the doctor or psychologist (or psychological associate), who has signed the letter (described above) in support of the change.

Surgery is not required as a condition for sex designation changes. However, if you have had surgery, you can present supporting documentation of the change from a recognized specialist (such as the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health or other comparable institutions) instead of a letter from a doctor, psychologist or psychological associate.

You will need to bring the originals for all the required documents. Service Ontario cannot accept photocopies to process your request.

Changing your sex designation to “X”

If you wish to change your designation from female (F) or male (F) to “X,” there are no supporting documents required for your visit to Service Ontario.

What happens next?

Your new driver’s license or Ontario Photo Card will arrive in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks. While you are at the Service Ontario centre, you will be given a temporary paper driver’s license or confirmation notice, which you should keep with your old card until your new one arrives.

When you receive your new driver’s license or photo card, your previous card will be voided. It is your responsibility to properly dispose of your old card.

Who can I ask if I have questions?

If you need more information you can call Service Ontario, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., at:

  • 1-800-387-3445 if you’re outside of Toronto but within North America
  • 416-235-2999 if you’re within the Greater Toronto Area or outside of North America
  • Teletypewriter (TTY): 416-325-3408