Some primary care providers feel uncomfortable starting their patients on hormones, but will continue with follow up care if another provider starts the hormones.

When this is the case, your primary care provider has a few options for referral:

  • an endocrinologist (hormone specialist);
  • a clinic that is specifically doing hormone starts for trans folks; or
  • a provider doing consults for hormone starts via the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN).

Oftentimes these referral sources will be open to ongoing consults with your primary care provider if they have any questions once your care has been handed back.

See also our My provider wants to offer me care, but needs support, guidance and/or information question for more information about resources available to your provider.