My provider wants to offer me care, but needs support, guidance and/or information.
This page is currently only available in English. Questions? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many tools and resources from Rainbow Health Ontario (RHO) and from other sources for primary care providers who are interested in learning about gender-affirming care and supporting their patients.
- Sherbourne Health‘s Guidelines and Protocols for Hormone Therapy and Primary Health Care for Trans Clients provides clinical guidance and step-by-step practical guidelines for initiating hormones and providing ongoing care to trans and non-binary clients. The guidelines are extensive and include adapted preventative care checklists, sample EAP forms, medication dosing and cost charts, among other helpful tools.
- The Trans Primary Care Guide is based on Sherbourne’s Guidelines and Protocols, and was designed to be an online resource for primary care providers to learn about gender-affirming care. The Guide is a visual and interactive adaptation of the Sherbourne Guidelines, and covers basics like how to provide inclusive care, the fundamentals of hormone therapy and the psychosocial aspects of transition.
- RHO’s Trans Health Mentorship Call is an opportunity for health care providers across the province to call in by telephone and connect with clinicians with experience working with gender-diverse clients. The call is open to any professionals (physician, nurse, social worker, mental health workers, etc.) already working with trans and non-binary clients or who are intending to do so. Providers are invited to build knowledge, ask questions and share experiences. The topics discussed range from specific, case-based questions to more general social or ethical issues. By sharing their learning, providers are also creating a community of practice and establishing valuable professional networks. Your provider can join the call by registering through RHO’s web form. Your provider can also use the web form to be added to the list to receive notes from the Mentorship Call.
- RHO’s TRS Surgical Summary Sheets, available in English and in French, are intended to facilitate discussion of TRS between primary care providers and patients. Please note that they are not exhaustive and do not replace the informed consent process between surgeon and patient.
- The WPATH Standards of Care 7.0 is a document used to provide clinical guidance for health professionals to assist trans and non-binary people with safe and effective pathways to achieving lasting personal comfort with their gendered selves in order to maximize their overall health, psychological well-being and self-fulfillment.
- OTN Hub is an e-consult service for health care providers across Ontario.
- For primary care providers in the Champlain LHIN Region, the Champlain BASE E-Consult Service is available for LGBT2SQ and trans-specific e-consults.